Tuesday, March 3, 2009

1st Equality Journal

On Saturday, February 28 I went to New York. New York is a really bustling city, and you encounter a lot of different people. When your walking down the street you talk to a lot of people and lots of people approach you to ask you questions. While I was walking around the streets I observed many things. The whole experience really made me think about how even though all of our citizens are considered equal, there are still definite class levels.

In big cities there are a lot more homeless people. I saw at least five different homeless people throughout the day. Four out of the five people were not Caucasian. This is a really small sample of people, but this does pose a question: why are less homeless people white? This is a really stereotypical question, but there does appear to be a trend.

The one homeless man was holding a sign that said, "buy me a beer man!" This made me really angry. Honestly, when I give a homeless person money, I expect them to spend it on alcohol or some type of drug, I do hope this isn't true though. For a man to sit there and blatantly ask for money to feed his expensive addiction is ridiculous! It's hard to think of everyone being equal when this man is clearly advocating a lower level of life.

Sometimes I think that equality is a really difficult thing. I do feel equal to most of society. But sometimes, I have a hard time feeling equal to everyone. Some people, like the homeless people I mentioned earlier, don't seem to care that they haven't done anything with their lives. They are a totally different class of people than I am. So, the question remains, are people really equal?

No comments:

Post a Comment