Monday, March 9, 2009

Equality Journal 2

I'm taking Ideas and Arts of Western Civilizations this semester. The past couple of chapters have been focusing on ancient Greek and Roman civilizations. It's amazing to me how long women have been viewed as the lesser of the two sexes.
From the early B.C.'s until today women are still fighting to truly be viewed equal to their male counterparts. We have been fighting for a voice since the beginning of time! This isn't right! Why have we consistently been the people to not be heard and be overlooked?
In ancient Greece there was a famous poet named Sappho. People say she was an extraordinary poet, and she was. Her love poems were extremely beautiful and moving. If she was such an incredible poet, however, why is she not as popular as ancient male writers such as Virgil and Homer? I believe it's because she's a woman.
It's strange to me how the whole idea of female inferiority developed. Why, since the beginning of time, have we been viewed as weaker (mentally and physically) than men? I am proud to be a girl, and I think that depending on the career I choose, it could be more difficult for me to succeed than a boy in my shoes, but it's something I'm willing to work for.
By saying all of these things I feel almost less feminine. Our society teaches us that our femininity relies on the way we curl our hair, bat our eyelashes, and pose in our size 0 dress, so can we really be feminine while still maintaining our equality? Can we be domineering career women while still being the pretty housewife that comes home every night and makes dinner?
Most of these questions can't be answered directly. Different ideas can be discussed, but a right answer really isn't out there. I think it's something I'll have to grow into to discover...

No comments:

Post a Comment