Tuesday, March 17, 2009

4th Equality Journal

I have been trying to think of things in Berks County that cause racial dissension. I came up with a couple ideas, but one of the things I couldn't get out of my head was the Fairgrounds Mall versus the Berkshire Mall.
Both malls have a very poor selection of stores, but looking at them from a racial standpoint, they are totally different! The Fairgrounds Mall tends to attract Hispanics and people of varying descent. The Berkshire Mall tends to attract white, suburban families.
Different groups of people going to different malls really isn't a problem, if it is by choice. The problem arises when people start viewing the malls as lesser or better than the other mall. I'd bet that if you asked everyone in our history class which mall they go to they would say the Berkshire Mall. The Fairgrounds Mall is kind of scary, I'm not going to lie. Whenever I go there I get hit on by some creepy Mexican. But other than that, why do I just accept this idea that the Fairgrounds Mall is a worse mall than the Berkshire?
It definitely comes down to race, as much as I don't like to admit it. Different malls attract different people, and most people in our class don't want to be associated with those different people.

No comments:

Post a Comment